Parenting Awareness Michigan

Michigan PTA

How To Talk About Mental Health

Building Blocks for a Healthy Future: Activities for parents and caregivers of children ages 3-6, provided by SAMHSA.

Stop Underage Drinking

Too Smart too Start

Talk: They Can Hear You– resources for parents and caregivers of youth ages 9-15.

College Drinking: Changing the Culture: by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA).

Safe Use Initiative: Preventing Harm from Medicines (FDA site)

Preventing Prescription Drug Abuse– Handout from

Disposal of Unused Medicines- What You Should Know.

Break the Chain of Tobacco Addiction (FDA site)

Recognizing Mental Health Problems in Children– from the National Institute on Health(NIH)

+Seeking Help

Oakland County Crisis Center: Common Ground Sanctuary

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline-1-800-273-TALK

Office of Substance Abuse Services PACE Unit– first step for county residents seeking treatment with Medicaid, under-insured, lower income.

If You Suspect your child is using drugs

How Much is Too Much? Self screening site for alcohol use

How to Get Help for Mental Health Problems

Treatment Locator for Behavioral Health– National listing by SAMHSA and Referral Hotline (SAMHSA) 1-877-SAMHSA-7

Veteran’s Crisis Line- Confidential Help for Veteran’s and their Families. Call: 1-800-273-8255

Problem Gambling Helpline (800) 270-7117

FAQ about Mental Health Diagnosis and Treatment for Children

Guide to Insurance and Behavioral Health Services

Questions to Ask Treatment Providers (Worksheet)